Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Battalion Forum Index -> Gaming Hardware, Build-your-own and Overclocking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedom_Sensei
Recruit

re: Building a PS2 ready machine

So, my laptop's hard drive is kaput. If anyone would be able to help me replace it, that'd be awesome. 

Otherwise, my next endeavor is to build a gaming-ready Desktop, and I was hoping I could find some help in choosing the parts. 

Ideally, my total price range is $600-$800. It is going to be gaming oriented obviously. Where would be a good place to start? 

If I had to source that locally, I know what I'd do and what compromises I'd make, but I don't know how helpful it'd be for you tbh. Still, here's what I'd be looking at:

A cheap, energy efficient 8 core AMD processor with a cheap board (yeah it won't perform as well as an Intel, but should still win in terms of price vs. performance), a relatively energy efficient mid-range graphics card like the GeForce 750 Ti and then a smaller, less expensive power supply since power consumption will be low. 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB HDD, with some kind of network adapter if needed (if you can do wired, great, if you can't, you'll need a good wireless adapter).

That's almost exactly what I'm running at the moment, in terms of core components, and it makes about 60 FPS easily enough with a fair number of the bells and whistles turned on. I could probably get above 60 so I could wall jump, but I found that personally, I can't stand looking at the game when things like the water effects aren't there.

The main issue with this particular setup is that it's a dead end as far as upgrades go. The power supply will be a limit if you're looking to get a better graphics card or processor, and there are going to be real limits on what you can do with the processor regardless since it's AMD.

mpchebe
On Leave
Officer

Do you live in the US?  If so, I'd suggest ordering primarily from Amazon and Newegg.  You should subscribe for the newegg newsletter, as they have great sales almost daily and could go a long way toward starting you off.

Solohawnc
TheSoloHawk
On Leave
Soldier

re: Pricing

In my opinion I wouldn't go for the price range you set if you are planning to play the new releases and aiming for 'top' settings,

I have a $400 (Today Price Converted from £)  and with that I am upgrading it all of this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7qq9qs

Thats about $1200

All I'm trying to say is if you are planning to keep up with the new games and what not,,, the price range set is not a good start point, even if you plan to upgrade (IN MY OPINION)

graemhoek
Recruit
Soldier

SoloHawk posted a good tool in PCPartpicker. The i5 build is more than sufficient and you can certainly play around with those parts and the only things I'd avoid are AMD processors (they run other games well, but don't play nice with PS2) and if you're not going to OC straight away, you can use the stock cooler that comes with most of the lower level i5 processors until you do (The 6600K does not).

Something like this might work within your budget assuming you need a case, storage (you *could* try to cannibalize the storage out of your lappy but...) and peripherals. Just be aware that you'll have to run on potato settings and use a guide like this one to get the most out of what you've got for your game play. I hope this helps.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Battalion Forum Index -> Gaming Hardware, Build-your-own and Overclocking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: